LD Staff Writer
We want you to know more about our wonderful people (the lifeblood of our business), so we’re continuing an Employee Spotlight series to share the more personal side of LongerDays!
We asked a series of questions and decided to share the best answers for all the world to see.
Today’s Employee Spotlight is Kyle Van Dam!
1. What is your name?
Hi, my name is *chika chika* Spat. Well, my government name is Kyle, but no one really calls me that.
2. What is your job title?
I’m a Virtual Assistant. I’m like a T-1000, but helpful. I am also a Team Lead. I lead teams to client expectations.
3. How long have you worked for LongerDays?
I have been working for LongerDays for 20 months. You can almost split my in-office and remote-from-home time right down the middle of that block.
4. Hometown? Where do you live now?
I was born in Grand Rapids, moved to Eastmanville, then to Anderson, Indiana. We moved back to Michigan, where I grew up in Muskegon. I now reside in Whitehall.
5. Inhabitants at your residence (this includes pets, oh and any family members or roommates!)
I live in my friend Eric’s home. I share space with a 20lb bedhog named Dewey, a little Boston Terrier piglet. My roommate has a half Husky/half Malamute named Zora. He calls her Sweet Pea – I call her Big Boof.
6. What’s your favorite part about your job?
The coworkers make this job fun, comfortable, and a learning experience. I love how much we geek out over music, movies, events, comics, video games, etc. I let my inner nerd fly within this group.
7. How have you seen the company evolve since you first started?
Since March 2020, we have all been working remotely from our respective homes without hiccup. It was cool to see us all pivot to a different environment individually and keep a team-focused position to our work.
8. How would you describe LongerDays in 3 words?
Versatile, engaged, and caring. Bonus word: hilarious
9. What is one thing you learned during your first month (or year) at LongerDays?
Much like physical work, organization is key. It can take a while to map out your most efficient and effective layout for staying organized digitally. This includes where you place communications apps, task apps, how you set up your desktop folders, etc. It took me a bit to get the right set up, but I’ve been rocking with the same layout for well over a year now.
10. What’s one thing you wish people knew about your job?
I think it is important to acknowledge the nature of being a Virtual Assistant for multiple clients/customers. The majority of the workforce is dedicated to their one business, their department, and their role. Being a VA at LongerDays demands versatility and stamina, as you are constantly “switching gears” all day long between different business needs, softwares, and platforms, and doing your best to make fluid transitions between all of them.
11. What is your go-to podcast or playlist or video etc. that gets you through the day? How does this help with your work productivity? Make sure to link your favorite podcast/playlist/video etc.
I find that the “All-Nighter” playlist on Spotify keeps me focused when I need to get a lot of work done in a chunk of time. It is all instrumental, so no vocal distractions. Most of the songs are relatively the same BPM, as it is mostly “trap” beats. Check it out! https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DX692WcMwL2yW
12. What do you do when you’re not at work? Are you active in any clubs and/or organizations? Please tell us about that involvement.
This year, I played a lot of disc golf to stay active but maintain social distancing from people. I played more rounds of disc golf this season than I have the last 6 years combined. I did not land an ace this season though… And that upsets me.
13. What is your favorite meme at the moment?
I have always had a place in my heart for Dat Boi!
14. What is an ability you wish you had?
Okay, hear me out… The ability to always have exact change. No matter what the cost is, you are able to pull the exact amount. Think of the possibilities. Now that is not your typical response to that question, but I’ve sat steady on that answer for a decade now.
15. In the zombie apocalypse, what would be your weapon of choice?
I would have to choose a bow and arrow and a sword. Guns are far too loud and reliant on ammunition. Arrows can be fashioned much more simply than bullets. A solid sword is would be very handy. But come on, we all know what the REAL weapon is in the zombie apocalypse – C A R D I O.
16. 4 likes and 4 dislikes
- Buffalo Sauce (anything spicy, really)
- Death Metal
- Overtly loud people
- The feeling of dry dirt on my hands (ahhhh!)
- Pop country
- Cilantro (I’ve tried, okay!?)